Completion of this course satisfies part of the Level 2 training requirements. Click here for more information about the TalkTools Levels Training Program.
This practical course focuses on how the sensory system impacts speech and feeding. Participants will learn to understand typical vs. atypical reactions to sensory input, how to assess sensory processing disorders, and how to apply sensory integration methods in a therapy session to achieve self-regulation.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe the 8 senses and what is typical vs. atypical.
- Understand the hidden senses and impacts on daily life.
- Define sensory processing disorders.
- Develop a sensory regulation plan.
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® OPT resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
- 10 Minutes: Sensory Processing 101
- 20 Minutes: Three primary patterns of sensory processing disorders
- 15 Minutes: The 8 senses
- 15 Minutes: Regulation and Arousal
- 30 Minutes: Common difficulties with sensory systems
- 15 Minutes: Oral perspective
- 30 Minutes: Sensory activities for self-regulation
- 30 Minutes: Developing as sensory assessment plan and sensory activity plan
- 15 Minutes: Collaboration is key
- Online ONLY for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE (downloadable handout, forms and charts)
- Online + SUPPLIES for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE, plus the following supplies
- 1- Horn #1
- 1- Bubble tube
- 2- Toothettes
- 1- Finger cuff
- 1- Straw #4
- 2- Tongue depressors
- Group Rate for 5 learners
- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE for 5 learners
- 5 sets of SUPPLIES listed above
- jaw grading blocks
- jaw exerciser
- tongue tip lateralization
- straw kit
- horn kit
- bubble kit
- sensory bean bags