Course DescriptionMore children than ever need early intervention and other services. And, there are not enough available services. Therapists, early interventionists, parents, medical professionals, and others have seen a sharp rise in children with delayed and/or disordered feeding, speech, and mouth development. These include children with disabilities as well as many typically-born children who for some reason are not developing as expected. This is a literature-based, criterion-referenced course to help anyone interested in keeping and getting children, with or without disabilities, on track in feeding, speech, and mouth development. Participants learn functional, safe techniques to use in practice and to teach others. Group experiences and video demonstrations are provided throughout the course.
- Participants will be able to identify oral sensory-motor problems that impact feeding, speech, and mouth function in children without and with specific disabilities (e.g., autism, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, etc.).
- Participants will be able to identify typical and atypical anatomy/physiology and feeding/speech/mouth function.
- Participants will be able to identify appropriate treatments for feeding/speech/mouth function problems.
- Participants will be able to apply general oral massage for appropriate populations (e.g., children with oral defensiveness, oral awareness problems, tonic bite, hyperresponsive gag, etc.).
- Participants will be able to apply feeding techniques that can be safely used and taught to parents and care providers.
AudienceSpeech-language pathologists and assistants, occupational therapists and assistants, early interventionists, lactation consultants, orofacial myofunctional therapists, dieticians, health educators, pediatricians, nurses, dental professionals, behavior specialists, psychologists, parents, and others who work with children’s feeding, speech, and mouth development.
This program is offered for 1.2 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate Level; Professional Area). AOTA CEUs: 1.2 (see TalkTools ASHA CEU Policy and Process for more information)
- $325 Early Bird Rate - through 07/28/19
- $385 Standard Rate - 07/29/19 - 09/15/19
- $415 Late Rate - 09/16/19 through day of
- Registration includes: ASHA CEUs/AOTA CEUs, course supplies, workbook, Diane's book Nobody Ever Told Me (or My Mother) That!, certificate of completion
Heather Vukelich and Happy Kids Therapy