Robyn’s SMILE Program (SysteMatic Intervention for Lingual Elevation) is an effective way to help children remediate articulation errors including persistent lisps, interdentalized productions of t-d-l-n-s-z, and distortions of s-z-∫-t∫-dʒ-ʒ. The program targets the root of the speech problem which is often an orofacial myofunctional disorder (OMD). Robyn discovered in a school-based setting that by combining oral placement, swallowing and articulation therapies progress rates improved. Participants learn how to perform a thorough structural assessment and determine if an OMD is present. This one-day seminar differentiates therapeutic strategies for <4 and >4 populations for the best prognosis. SMILE manual is included with the course.
- Participants will be able to diagnose myofunctional disorders based on oral placement skills/swallowing skills/articulation skills.
- Participants will be able to list defining characteristics of a myofunctional disorder.
- Participants will be able to determine if oral-motor prerequisite skills are intact in order to initiate myofunctional therapy techniques (Jaw-structure-tone).
- Participants will be able to measure treatment outcomes throughout the therapeutic process.
- Participants will be able to combine oral placement, swallowing and articulation therapy techniques for those children who present myofunctional disorders.
- Participants will be able to implement at least ten exercises for a tongue thrust program.
This program is offered for 0.6 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate Level; Professional Area). AOTA CEUs: 0.6 (see TalkTools ASHA CEU Policy and Process for more information)
1211 Hamburg Turnpike Wayne, NJ 7470
- $199 Early Bird Rate - through 11/26/19
- $259 Standard Rate - 11/26/19 to 01/12/20
- $289 Late Registration - 01/13/20 to day of
- Registration includes: 0.6 ASHA/AOTA approved CEUs, course supplies, workbook, and certificate of completion.