In this presentation, Renee Roy Hill will discuss treatment of clients diagnosed with apraxia of speech and related motor speech disorders.
Many of these clients do not respond to the traditional auditory and visually-based motor speech techniques often because other co-existing issues, including oral sensory deficits, feeding deficits, and oral placement deficits, are not addressed making differential diagnosis an important assessment component.
Renee demonstrates how OPT activities, which utilize a tactile approach, in conjunction with auditory and visually-based apraxia therapy techniques will improve speech clarity for clients with the diagnosis of apraxia.
- Discuss goals related to treatment of apraxia of speech
- Define childhood apraxia of speech along with subsequent motor speech impairments that may also be present
- Participants will gain an understanding of when a muscle-based approach is appropriate in a treatment plan
- Study sensory, feeding and motor issues as related to children with a diagnosis of apraxia of speech and other motor speech disorders
- Teach how oral placement activities through structured repetition improve muscle skill and teach muscle memory
- Understand how using a multi-sensory tactile approach is used with clients to transition from OPT to facilitate speech production
- Provide strategies for planning and implementing a multi-modality motor speech program
CEUs: 1.2 (see TalkTools CEU Policy and Process for more information)
$325 Early Bird Rate - through 03/18/18
$385 Standard Rate - 03/19/18 to 05/03/18
$415 Late Registration - 05/04/18 to day of
Fee includes: 1.2 CEUs, course supplies with Complete Apraxia Program ($52 value), workbook & certificate of completion.
Host Organization: Miracle Kids Success Academy
Venue: Hilton Garden Inn | 2840 Caraway Road | Jonesboro, AR
Renee Roy Hill, MS, CCC-SLP has provided therapeutic assessments and program planning for adults and children with oral placement, feeding and motor speech deficits for over 17 years . . . more