VIRTUAL WORKSHOP | The Functional *ASSESSMENT* of TOTs (Tethered Oral Tissues) [ZOOM][February 21, 2021]90449
The TOTs course is now being offered as 2 days. Click here to purchase both days.
Date: Sunday February 21, 2021
Location: ZOOM (9AM-4PM EASTERN US TIME)
Presenter: Robyn Merkel-Walsh, MA, CCC-SLP, COM®️
Tethered Oral Tissues (TOTs) is the restriction of the frena or frenulum, which are small folds of tissue that connect bone to tissue and support or limit movement. The term TOTs is used to describe restriction of the frenula in the tongue
(ankyloglossia), lip (lip-tie) or buccal frena. While there are respected assessment protocols that look at the structure of the tissues, there is yet to be a detailed functional assessment that looks at the impact of TOTs on oral motor, feeding and speech skills. Lori and Robyn have done extensive literature review on TOTs and have collected several years’ worth of clinical data in preparation of this course.
This course provides participants with a “Task Analysis” of TOTs, walking through breast, bottle, cup, spoon, solid and straw feeding in addition to the oral placements required for speech clarity. Numerous demonstrations, practicums and video slides will teach participants to execute both a structural and functional assessment with child and adult protocols. Participants will also learn how to use a TOTs 5-Step Screening Tool. This course is rich with evidence based practices and will address many of the controversies that make TOTs a “hot topic”.
- Participants will be able to list at least 2 assessment protocols for TOTs.
- Participants will be able to identify at least 3 red flags of TOTs.
- Participants will be able to list at least 3 ways in which TOTs impacts feeding across the lifespan.
- Participants will be able to list at least 2 speech sounds that can be correlated with TOTs.
Target Audience: SLPs, OTs, IBCLC, dentists, surgeons, ENTs and RDHs.
While TalkTools welcomes all to attend and learn the course content, it is the responsibility of the professional to determine if applying the techniques fits within the scope of their practice.
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® OPT resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
This program is approved by IAOM for 0.6 CEUs.
TalkTools®️ is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. Provider #: 4782. This self-study course qualifies for 6 self-study contact hours or 0.6 CEUs in the Category of Occupational Therapy Process. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA. Course Level: Intermediate.
This workshop will occur live virtually via Zoom. It is required to attend live to receive credit. Therefore, this offering will not be recorded.
Practicum is included with your registration and will be shipped to the address provided at checkout.
- FOR U.S. ORDERS: Shipping rates are included. Registrations must be placed by February 12, 2021. After this date we can not guarantee practicum will be shipped and arrive before the course date.
- FOR INTERNATIONAL ORDERS: Shipping rates are not included and we can not guarantee practicum will be shipped and arrive before the course date.
- Registration Includes: ASHA/AOTA approved CEUs, practicum, digital workbook, and certificate of completion