VIRTUAL WORKSHOP | The Functional *REMEDIATION* of TOTs (Tethered Oral Tissues) [ZOOM][February 22, 2021]90450
The TOTs course is now being offered as 2 days. Click here to purchase both days.
Date: Monday February 22, 2021
Location: ZOOM (9AM-4PM EASTERN US TIME)
Presenter: Lori L. Overland MS CCC-SLP, C/NDT, CLC, FOM
Tethered Oral Tissues (TOTs) is the restriction of the frena or frenulum, which are small folds of tissue that connect bone to tissue and support or limit movement. The term TOTs is used to describe restriction of the frenula in the tongue
(ankyloglossia), lip (lip-tie) or buccal frena. Robyn and Lori created a detailed functional assessment protocol that task the impact of TOTs on oral motor, feeding and speech skills. From this assessment, goals are established and a treatment protocol can be generated.
This course provides participants with specific neuromuscular re-reeducation tasks that will assist with the functional impact of TOTs on pre-feeding, feeding and speech. Robyn and Lori will teach participants specific passive and active exercises for breast, bottle, cup, spoon, solid and straw feeding in addition to the oral placements required for speech clarity. Pre and post- operative considerations as well as surgical procedures will be discussed. Neuromuscular re-education of the cheeks, lips and tongue will be presented and numerous demonstrations, practicums and video slides will teach participants to execute a functional remediation program. Techniques learned may be executed in the school, hospital or clinic based settings. This course is rich with evidence based practices and will address many of the controversies that make TOTs a “hot topic” (e.g. who is the team leader?)
- Participants will be able to list at least 2 red flags for TOTs.
- Participants will be able to identify at least 3 ways in which TOTs can impact feeding and/or speech.
- Participants will be able to execute at least 3 neuromuscular education activities for pre and post op TOTs.
Target Audience: SLPs, OTs, IBCLC, dentists, surgeons, ENTs and RDHs.
While TalkTools welcomes all to attend and learn the course content, it is the responsibility of the professional to determine if applying the techniques fits within the scope of their practice.
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® OPT resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
This program is approved by IAOM for 0.6 CEUs.
TalkTools®️ is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. Provider #: 4782. This self-study course qualifies for 6 self-study contact hours or 0.6 CEUs in the Category of Occupational Therapy Process. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA. Course Level: Intermediate.
This workshop will occur live virtually via Zoom. It is required to attend live to receive credit. Therefore, this offering will not be recorded.
Practicum is included with your registration and will be shipped to the address provided at checkout.
- FOR U.S. ORDERS: Shipping rates are included. Registrations must be placed by February 12, 2021. After this date we can not guarantee practicum will be shipped and arrive before the course date.
- FOR INTERNATIONAL ORDERS: Shipping rates are not included and we can not guarantee practicum will be shipped and arrive before the course date.
- Registration Includes: ASHA/AOTA approved CEUs, practicum, digital workbook, and certificate of completion