This interactive course will focus on overcoming feeding issues with children with autism. The instructor, Risca Solomon, has a wealth of experience in combining TalkTools/OPT techniques with behavioral strategies to treat those children with severe developmental disabilities. These strategies enable children with autism to increase the range of foods they will eat which improves nutritional intake and allows children to access more social situations.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify skill deficits which require oral motor assessment.
- Identify and describe 3 different behavior interventions.
- Identify characteristics of individuals that assist with identifying effective interventions.
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® OPT resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
This program is offered for 0.15 ASHA CEUs (Introductory Level; Professional Area)(see TalkTools ASHA CEU Policy and Process for more information)
TalkTools®️ is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. Provider #: 4782. This self-study course qualifies for 1.5 self-study contact hours or 0.15 CEUs in the Category of Occupational Therapy Process. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA. Course Level: Intermediate.
Schedule (11:00AM - 12:30PM Eastern US Time)
- 10 minutes Introduction & Overview
- 30 minutes Oral Motor, medical and physical issues to consider
- 40 minutes Behavioral Feeding Techniques
- 10 minutes Q&A