TalkTools Instructor, Monica Purdy, will be presenting strategies for implementing a chewing plan for clients who have not mastered this skill, looking at what happens during both a typical chewing event and a disordered one. Monica will explain how to conduct a differential diagnosis to determine how sensory issues and/or motor deficits are impacting mastication. Discussion will include techniques to facilitate transitioning to solids, and strategies to go from a vertical chew to a rotary chew. A "Mastering Mastication Checklist" for families will also be presented.
- Participants will be able to identify typical chewing patterns vs. disordered chewing patterns.
- Participants will be able to conduct a differential diagnosis to determine sensory and/or motor deficits affecting mastication.
- Participants will be able to apply techniques to incorporate solid foods.
- Participants will be able to apply 2 strategies to facilitate transition from vertical to rotary chew.
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® OPT resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
This program is offered for 0.2 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate Level; Professional Area)(see TalkTools ASHA CEU Policy and Process for more information)
Schedule (09:00AM - 11:00AM Eastern)
- 30 minutes Identifying chewing patterns
- 30 minutes Differential Diagnosis: What is Impacting Mastication?
- 10 minutes BREAK
- 20 minutes Transitioning to solids
- 20 minutes Transitioning from vertical to rotary chew
- 10 Minutes Mastering Mastication Checklist
- 10 minutes Wrap-up/Q&A