This course will be present the exciting findings from a collaborative study on the impacts of incorporating Talk Tools OPT (Oral Placement Therapy) techniques with ABA protocols on speech production, focusing on the jaw, lips and tongue.
The team consisted of SLPs, BCBAs, RBTs and parents and the study was conducted at Eastern Florida Autism Center. Clients included those with a diagnosis of Down syndrome, ASD, Fragile X and cerebral palsy.
Risca Solomon, MS, BCBA, will present the techniques used in the study, so learners can apply these techniques right away in their practice! Risca will be joined by some of the collaborators including Richele Yeich, BCBA, Jamie Schepp, SLP and Jonathan Amey, M.Ed.
The participant will be able to:
- Summarize the findings of the ABA-OPT Study
- Understand the jaw-lip-tongue connection for speech production
- Identify 3 ABA techniques applicable to speech therapy
- Apply 3 OPT techniques for speech clarity
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® OPT resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
TalkTools®️ is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. Provider #: 4782. This self-study course qualifies for 2 self-study contact hours or 0.2 CEUs in the Category of Occupational Therapy Process. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA. Course Level: Intermediate.
Schedule (11:00AM - 01:00PM Eastern US Time)
- 15 minutes – Overview of Study
- 15 minutes – Techniques for Jaw
- 15 minutes – Techniques for Lips
- 20 minutes – Techniques for Jaw
- 20 minutes – How to measure progress
- 25 minutes – Case studies & results
- 10 minutes -- Wrap-up/Q&A
-- No copyright infringement intended with images displayed; similar content appears elsewhere on the internet