Verbal communication is so essential for humans – and when we have a nonverbal client on the autism spectrum, we need to reach into our collective therapy toolboxes to equip these individuals with basic communication skills. TalkTools Instructor, Risca Solomon, will discuss the unique communication challenges clients with ASD may present, her top 5 strategies for breaking through the communication wall that have worked in her therapy practice, as well as other proven approaches. As a Board Certified Behavior Analyst, Risca will demonstrate ABA practices and oral-placement techniques. Nonverbal-to-Verbal Roadmap will be outlined.
- Participants will be able to identify early red flags when assessing verbal skills in pediatric clients.
- Participants will be able to assess appropriate strategies based on clients' diagnosis and behaviors.
- Participants will be able to apply 3 intervention strategies in a therapy setting.
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® OPT resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
This program is offered for 0.2 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate Level; Professional Area)(see TalkTools ASHA CEU Policy and Process for more information)
TalkTools®️ is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. Provider #: 4782. This self-study course qualifies for 2 self-study contact hours or 0.2 CEUs in the Category of Occupational Therapy Process. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA. Course Level: Intermediate.
Schedule (10:00AM - 12:00PM Eastern)
- 30 minutes ASD Communication Disorders
- 30 minutes ABA Techniques and Demonstrations
- 10 minutes BREAK
- 20 minutes Oral-Motor Techniques and Demonstrations
- 25 minutes Non-verbal to Verbal Roadmap
- 15 minutes Wrap-up/Q&A