This course is taught by TalkTools Instructor, Heather Vukelich and Dr. Brian Hockel, DDS and discusses typical vs. atypical jaw and mouth muscle development and how these impact the basics of life: speech, feeding -- and breathing -- with an emphasis on the Down syndrome population.
Heather and Brian provide strategies and techniques for improved speech, feeding, breathing and sleeping -- from both the SLP perspective and the orthodontist perspective.
Participants will be able to:
- Summarize the etiology of facial and airway growth, and the implications for sleep apnea.
- Apply OPT methods as part of overall treatment for speech and facial development.
- Demonstrate orthodontic approaches which affect speech, facial appearance and airway health.
This program is offered for 0.3 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate Level: Professional Area | 0.3 AOTA CEUs. | 3 Instructional Hours (see TalkTools ASHA CEU Policy and Process for more information)
Academy of General Dentistry (AGD)
- Online ONLY for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE (downloadable workbook)
- Online + SUPPLIES for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE, plus the following supplies
- 2-tongue depressors
- 1-bubble tube with straw
- 1-nose flute
- 1-red bite blocks
- 1-red chewy
- 1-yellow chewy
- Group Rate for 5 learners
- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE for 5 learners
- 5 sets of SUPPLIES listed above