TalkTools Instructor, Monica Purdy, will be presenting strategies for implementing a chewing plan for clients who have not mastered this skill, looking at what happens during both a typical chewing event and a disordered one
Participants will learn how to conduct a differential diagnosis to determine if sensory issues and/or motor deficits are impacting mastication. Techniques to facilitate transitioning to solids, as well as strategies to go from a vertical chew to a rotary chew will be discussed. Mastering Mastication Checklist for families will also be presented.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify typical chewing patterns vs. disordered chewing patterns
- Conduct a differential diagnosis to determine sensory and/or motor deficits affecting mastication
- Apply techniques to incorporate solid foods
- Apply 2 strategies to facilitate transition from vertical to rotary chew
This program is offered for 0.3 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate Level; Professional Area). 3 Instructional Hours (see TalkTools ASHA CEU Policy and Process for more information)
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® OPT resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
- Online ONLY for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE (downloadable workbook, forms and charts)
- Group Rate for 5 learners
- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE for 5 learners
- 30 minutes Identifying chewing patterns
- 60 minutes Differential Diagnosis: What is Impacting Mastication?
- 30 minutes Transitioning to solids
- 30 minutes Transitioning from vertical to rotary chew
- 15 Minutes Mastering Mastication Checklist
- 15 minutes Wrap-up & FAQ