Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders are attracting more speech pathologists with the new ASHA OMD Practice Portal. In 2020 ASHA will require universities to teach their students about OMDs. The first step in understanding OMDs is to understand normal oral sensory-motor development and the typical orofacial complex. Since Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy (OMT) is traditionally implemented above the age of four, some therapists are left confused on what to do for early signs and symptoms of OMDs.
This course will discuss how goal directed mouth development and early intervention of oral motor dysfunction in infants, babies, and toddlers can help prevent future OMD challenges such as prolonged thumb sucking and open mouth posture. Evidenced based resources and a take away guide will help therapists start implementing strategies immediately.
*This course is helpful for lactation, occupational therapists, physical therapists, RDHs, physicians, SLPs and all early intervention staff.
- Participants will be able to identify at least three signs and symptoms of oral dysfunction in the 0-3 population.
- Participants will be able to list three ways to assist children ages 0-3 follow typical oral motor development norms
- Participants will be able to list at least two oral motor specialist approved mouth "tools" that promote desirable mouth development.
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® OPT resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
The Illinois Early Intervention Training Program has approved this event for 2.0 hours of EI credential credit in the area of Atypical Development, Intervention, and Typical Development. 2 Instructional Hours. It is the responsibility of the individual to provide Proof of Attendance or Completion of this activity to Provider Connections.
InstructorsRobyn Merkel-Walsh, MA, CCC-SLP, COM®️ Bio and Financial Disclosure
- Online ONLY for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE (downloadable workbook)
- Group Rate for 5 learners
- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE for 5 learners
- 35 Minutes: What is an OMD, and why is 0-3 such a critical age for mouth development
- 30 Minutes: Early signs of OMDs
- 55 Minutes: Prevention of OMDs via oral sensory-motor interventions