Verbal communication is so essential for humans – and when we have a nonverbal client on the autism spectrum, we need to reach into our collective therapy toolboxes to equip these individuals with basic communication skills.
TalkTools Instructor, Risca Solomon, will discuss the unique communication challenges clients with ASD may present, her top 5 strategies for breaking through the communication wall that have worked in her therapy practice, as well as other proven approaches. As a Board Certified Behavior Analyst, Risca will demonstrate ABA practices and oral-placement techniques. Nonverbal-to-Verbal Roadmap will be outlined.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify early red flags when assessing verbal skills in pediatric clients
- Assess appropriate strategies based on clients’ diagnosis and behaviors
- Apply 3 intervention strategies in a therapy setting
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® OPT resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.(pending AOTA approval)
- Online ONLY for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE (downloadable handout)
- Group Rate for 5 learners
- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE for 5 learners
- 10 Minutes: Introduction
- 20 Minutes: ASD Communication Disorders
- 30 Minutes: ABA Techniques and Demonstrations
- 30 Minutes: Oral-Motor Techniques and Demonstrations
- 30 Minutes: Non-verbal to Verbal Roadmap