TalkTools Instructor, Monica Purdy, will be presenting strategies for implementing a chewing plan for clients who have not mastered this skill, looking at what happens during both a typical chewing event and a disordered one. Monica will explain how to conduct a differential diagnosis to determine how sensory issues and/or motor deficits are impacting mastication. Discussion will include techniques to facilitate transitioning to solids, and strategies to go from a vertical chew to a rotary chew. A "Mastering Mastication Checklist" for families will also be presented.
- Participants will be able to identify typical chewing patterns vs. disordered chewing patterns.
- Participants will be able to conduct a differential diagnosis to determine sensory and/or motor deficits affecting mastication.
- Participants will be able to apply techniques to incorporate solid foods.
- Participants will be able to apply 2 strategies to facilitate transition from vertical to rotary chew.
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® OPT resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
This program is offered for 0.2 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate Level; Professional Area)(see TalkTools ASHA CEU Policy and Process for more information)
TalkTools®️ is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. Provider #: 4782. This self-study course qualifies for 2 self-study contact hours or 0.2 CEUs in the Category of Occupational Therapy Process. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA. Course Level: Intermediate.
Schedule (09:00AM - 11:00AM Eastern)
- 30 minutes Identifying chewing patterns
- 30 minutes Differential Diagnosis: What is Impacting Mastication?
- 10 minutes BREAK
- 20 minutes Transitioning to solids
- 20 minutes Transitioning from vertical to rotary chew
- 10 Minutes Mastering Mastication Checklist
- 10 minutes Wrap-up/Q&A