In this 2 hour presentation, Dr. Raphael will discuss the history of orthodontics and its troubled understanding of soft tissue dysfunction in relation to malocclusion. He will introduce the audience to the Airway Timeline and how it guides the thinking of both assessment and treatment planning in orthodontics. And he will illustrate with cases how recording and tracking the medical indications for treatment is becoming an essential element of modern orthodontics.
The participant will be able to:
- Recognize the etiology of airway flow limitation through knowledge of the timeline.
- Recite the four goals of myofunctional therapy.
- Recognize the need to address structure, function, and behavior in all cases and why treating just one domain is not enough.
- Identify and communicate with an orthodontist who is fluent in myofunctional thinking.
- 15 min Orthodontics and Orofacial Myology
- 20 min OMDs: malocclusions and tongue placement
- 15 min Airway Timeline
- 20 min Orthodontic Assessment and Treatment of OMDs
- 20 min Case Studies
- 20 min Orthodontists and SLPs Working Together
- 10 min Q&A
.15 CE Credits