Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders (OMDs) and speech and feeding problems go hand in hand. Yet recognising how an OMD can cause and exacerbate these difficulties is not always clear. In this course we will explore the possible causes of OMDs and how a poor swallowing pattern, compromised airway health, tethered oral tissues and postural issues can affect how a patient eats and speaks. This course will also identify the common signs of speech and feeding difficulties, and how we can apply a holistic approach to treatment.
The participant will be able to:
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of speech and feeding difficulties
- Understand the possible causes of OMDs in patients with speech and feeding difficulties
- Apply learnings to the formulation of patient treatment plans
- 5 min Introduction - My Journey
- 10 min What is an OMD and how does that relate to speech and feeding problems?
- 10 min Speech difficulties - Signs and symptom
- 10 min Feeding difficulties - Signs and symptoms
- 15 min Causes
- 25 min Case presentations and treatment approaches
- 5 min Summary and closing (5 mins)
- 10 min Q&A
.15 CE Credits