3-Part Treatment Plan for OPT (Oral Placement Therapy) [Johannesburg, South Africa][August 20 and 21, 2019]
Date: August 20 and 21, 2019
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Presenter: Monica Purdy, MA, CCC-SLP
This introductory course to OPT (Oral Placement Therapy) is the foundation for TalkTools training and is integrated throughout all of our courses. OPT is a type of oral-motor therapy that targets specific movements needed for speech and feeding. The "3 parts" of OPT are: auditory and visual sensory systems COMBINED WITH tactile -- and propioceptive -- sensory systems. TalkTools training applies a unique, hierarchical approach to OPT, focused on a measurable, results-driven path for both therapists and clients across all ages and diagnoses with the goal of:
- speech clarity
- improved feeding
- improved QUALITY OF LIFE
This interactive, hands-on course includes highly motivating activities targeting the abdomen, velum, jaw, lips and tongue. Techniques learned can be readily implemented across many therapy environments -- private practices, hospitals, schools and home.
- The participant will be able to appropriately assess oral placement/feeding/speech problems based on muscle systems.
- The participant will be able to integrate hierarchies for motor dissociation and grading (jaw-lips-tongue).
- The participant will be able to plan programs of therapeutic intervention to address physiological and motor-based speech disorders.
- The participant will be able to apply at least 10 new therapy techniques.
- The participant will be able to properly use oral placement techniques to improve individual speech clarity and production.
Monica Purdy has more than 17 years of professional experience specializing in helping children with special needs to communicate. Monica is PROMPT and SOS trained, familiar with sign language, and well-versed in the use of augmentative devices. She is the owner of Kids Abilities in Indianapolis, IN. In addition to her private practice, Monica is a member of the TalkTools® speakers bureau and has been invited to speak at numerous conventions and seminars across the U.S. and internationally. She is a graduate of Ball State University.
This program is offered for 1.2 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate Level; Professional Area). AOTA CEUs: 1.2 (see TalkTools ASHA CEU Policy and Process for more information)
Please register through the international partner SPEECHLAB SOUTH AFRICA