OPT: Clinical Implications for Tongue Thrust and Lisps [Indianapolis, IN][June 1, 2019]90310
Date: June 1, 2019
Location: Indianapolis, IN (08:30AM-04:00PM)
Presenter: Robyn Merkel-Walsh, MA, CCC-SLP
Robyn’s SMILE Program (SysteMatic Intervention for Lingual Elevation) is an effective way to help children remediate articulation errors including persistent lisps, interdentalized productions of t-d-l-n, and distortions of sh-ch-r. The program targets the root of the speech problem which is often a tongue thrust disorder. Robyn discovered in a school-based setting that by combining oral placement, swallowing and articulation therapies progress rates improved. This one-day seminar addresses children ages 3 and up, who present with persistent articulation errors secondary to a Tongue Thrust Disorder.
- Participants will be able to diagnose myofunctional disorders based on oral placement skills/swallowing skills/articulation skills.
- Participants will be able to list defining characteristics of a myofunctional disorder.
- Participants will be able to determine if oral-motor prerequisite skills are intact in order to initiate myofunctional therapy techniques (Jaw-structure-tone).
- Participants will be able to measure treatment outcomes throughout the therapeutic process.
- Participants will be able to combine oral placement, swallowing and articulation therapy techniques for those children who present myofunctional disorders.
- Participants will be able to implement at least ten exercises for a tongue thrust program.
This program is offered for 0.6 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate Level; Professional Area). AOTA CEUs: 0.6 (see TalkTools ASHA CEU Policy and Process for more information)
- $150 Early Bird Rate - through 04/01/19
- $190 Standard Rate - 04/02/19 to 05/17/19
- $200 Late Registration - 05/18/19 to day of
Registration includes: 0.6 ASHA/AOTA approved CEUs, course supplies, workbook, and certificate of completion.
Host Organization: Kids Abilities Pediatric Therapy
Venue:7316 US 31 Indianapolis, Indiana 46227
Robyn Merkel-Walsh, MA, CCC-SLP has specialized for over 24 years in OPT, myofunctional disorders and feeding disorders. MORE