OPT: Clinical Implications for Tongue Thrust and Lisps
Date: October 21, 2017
Location: Iselin, NJ
Presenter: Robyn Merkel Walsh, MA, CCC-SLP
Robyn’s SMILE Program (SysteMatic Intervention for Lingual Elevation) is an effective way to help children remediate articulation errors including persistent lisps, interdentalized productions of t-d-l-n, and distortions of sh-ch-r.
The program targets the root of the speech problem which is often a tongue thrust disorder. Robyn discovered in a school-based setting that by combining oral placement, swallowing and articulation therapies progress rates improved.
This one-day seminar addresses children ages 3 and up, who present with persistent articulation errors secondary to a Tongue Thrust Disorder.
- Diagnose myofunctional disorders based on oral placement skills/swallowing skills/articulation skills
- List defining characteristics of a myofunctional disorder
- Determine if oral-motor prerequisite skills are intact in order to initiate myofunctional therapy techniques (Jaw-structure-tone)
- Measure treatment outcomes throughout the therapeutic process
- Combine oral placement, swallowing and articulation therapy techniques for those children who present myofunctional disorders
- Implement at least ten exercises for a tongue thrust program
$150 Early Bird Rate - until 8/21/17
$190 Standard Rate - 8/22/17 to 10/6/17
$200 Late Registration - 10/7/17 to day of
Fee includes: 0.6 CEUs, course supplies, workbook & certificate of completion.
Host organization: Advanced Therapy of America
Venue: Advanced Therapy of America | 485 A US Highway 1 South | Iselin, NJ 08830
Presenter Bio: Robyn Merkel-Walsh has specialized for over 21 years in Oral Placement and myofunctional disorders in children. She is employed by the Ridgefield Board of Education, runs a private practice in Ridgefield, NJ, is the board chair of the Oral Motor Institute, and is a member of the TalkTools® speakers bureau . . . more