Oral Placement Therapy: Clinical Implications for Tongue Thrust and Lisps (NC)
Date: February 2, 2017
Location: Durham, NC
Presenter: Robyn Merkel-Walsh, MA, CCC-SLP
Autism is a developmental disability that affects, often severely, a person’s ability to communicate and socially interact with others. According to recent statistics from Cure Autism Now, autism is believed to affect 1 in every 50 people and the rate is on the rise.
The intensity of symptoms varies widely; however, all people on the spectrum display impairments in communication, social relationships and patterned behaviors. Due to high incidence of communication issues with the ASD population, Speech Pathologists are almost always part of a team of professionals who treat these individuals.
This course will look at the current methodologies and treatment techniques when working with children who present with Autism. Various methodologies will be outlined and discussed including Applied Behavioral Analysis, Verbal Behavior, DIR methods, Oral Placement Therapy and Biomedical Theories.
Combining approaches allow therapists to assess children with ASD and implement a comprehensive tactile approach to therapy. Issues such as problematic behavior, food refusal and tactile sensitivities will be discussed.
- Identify at least three current therapies being used by speech pathologists who work with children on the autistic spectrum
- Understand the variations between the ABA vs. the Floortime Models of therapy.
- Define two features of an Oral Placement Disorder
- Successfully implement two types of reinforcements to utilize with a child on the autism spectrum
- Learn at least four new techniques to be used with their clients
- Create a speech therapy goal in a simple STO format
$150 Early Bird Rate - until 12/06/16
$190 Standard Rate - 12/07/16 to 1/20/17
$200 Late Registration - 1/21/17 to day of
Fee includes: 0.6 CEUs, course supplies, workbook & certificate of completion.
Recommended Add On:
Feeding Therapy: A Sensory-Motor Approach
Host organization: North Carolina Eye, Ear, Nose & Throat
Venue: Blacknall Presbyterian Church
1902 Perry Street, Durham, NC 27705
Presenter Bio: Robyn Merkel-Walsh has specialized for over 21 years in Oral Placement and myofunctional disorders in children. more