Solving the Puzzle of Autism: Using Tactile Therapy Techniques [October 12, 2019][Fair Lawn, NJ]90329
Date: October 12, 2019
Location: Fairlawn, NJ
Presenter: Robyn Merkel-Walsh, MA, CCC-SLP
Autism is a developmental disability that affects, often severely, a person’s ability to communicate and socially interact with others. According to recent statistics from Cure Autism Now, autism is believed to affect 1 in every 50 people and the rate is on the rise. The intensity of symptoms varies widely; however, all people on the spectrum display impairments in communication, social relationships and patterned behaviors. Due to high incidence of communication issues with the ASD population, Speech Pathologists are almost always part of a team of professionals who treat these individuals. This course will look at the current methodologies and treatment techniques when working with children who present with Autism. Various methodologies will be outlined and discussed including Applied Behavioral Analysis, Verbal Behavior, DIR methods, Oral Placement Therapy and Biomedical Theories. Combining approaches allow therapists to assess children with ASD and implement a comprehensive tactile approach to therapy. Issues such as problematic behavior, food refusal and tactile sensitivities will be discussed.
- Participants will be able to identify at least three current therapies being used by speech pathologists who work with children on the autistic spectrum.
- Participants will be able to understand the variations between the ABA vs. the Floor time Models of therapy.
- Participants will be able to define two features of an Oral Placement Disorder.
- Participants will be able to successfully implement two types of reinforcements to utilize with a child on the autism spectrum.
- Participants will be able to learn at least four new techniques to be used with their clients.
- Participants will be able to create a speech therapy goal in a simple STO format.
This program is offered for 0.6 ASHA CEUs(Intermediate Level; Professional Area).AOTA CEUs: 0.6 (seeTalkTools ASHA CEU Policy and Process for more information)
- $199 Early Bird Rate - until 08/19/19
- $259 Standard Rate - 08/20/19 to 10/06/19
- $289 Late Registration - 10/07/19 to day of
- Registration Only Includes: 0.6 ASHA/AOTA approved CEUs, course supplies, workbook, and certificate of completion.
Memorial Middle School | Room 112 | 12-00 1st St, Fair Lawn, NJ 07410