Infants and toddlers with TOTs often have a history of difficulty feeding at the breast and/or with bottle feeding. As these infants prepare to transition from exclusive breast/bottle feeds to complementary feeds these challenges may persist.
This session focuses on supporting the transition to solid foods using an oral sensory motor approach paired with adapted baby-led weaning techniques (ABLW).
- List at least 3 challenges to introducing solid foods in infants with a history of TOTs.
- List at least 3 benefits of combining a sensory motor approach to feeding with ABLW techniques.
- Identify at least 4 integrated feeding techniques.
- 10 mins: Introduction
- 30 mins: Implications of Breastfeeding challenges
- 20 mins: A review of the motor skills for chewing
- 20 mins: Goals of a pre-feeding and therapeutic feeding program
- 30 mins: How to integrate a sensory motor approach with ABLW techniques.
- 10 mins: Conclusions
Lori Overland, MS, CCC-SLP, C/NDT, FOM, CLC