VIRTUAL WORKSHOP | Functional Assessment of Tethered Oral Tissues (TOTs) [ZOOM][May 13 2022]00020-WSP
*ADD THE PRACTICUM TO YOUR CART (For each participant) (Free shipping for US addresses only)
Date: Friday May 13, 2022
Location: ZOOM (09AM - 04PM Eastern US Time)
Presenter: Lori Overland, MS, CCC-SLP, C/NDT, CLC, FOM
Tethered Oral Tissue(s) or TOTs is a topic that has been more frequently discussed in the fields of lactation, speech pathology, oral surgery, orofacial myology, and otolaryngology. Organizations such as the International Association of Orofacial Myology (IAOM) and the Academy of Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy (AOMT) have been highlighting this diagnosis and implications for therapy and surgery. There are three forms of TOTs: buccal, labial, and lingual. Lingual TOTs is most commonly known as “tongue-tie” or “ankyloglossia”. The Mayo clinic in 2016 indicated that tongue-tie can affect the way a child eats, speaks and swallows, and can interfere with breastfeeding.
One of the driving factors in the increased interest in TOTs stems from current research linking sleep apnea to a short lingual frenulum, in addition to the increase awareness of the importance of breastfeeding. With this topic comes some controversy, and speech pathologists are often left confused in their own role of diagnosing and treating TOTs.
This course explores the functional assessment of TOTs and reviews current well-respected assessment tools which describe structure. With these tools, Lori and Robyn have developed the Merkel-Walsh & Overland TOTs Protocol which looks at structure, oral motor function, pre-feeding, feeding, and speech. Participants will learn to use this tool to identify the possible need for a TOTs referral, and the functional impact this diagnosis may have on feeding and speech. Their unique style of “task analysis” is a practical strategy for assessment that is immediately carried over into developing a treatment program for neuro-muscular re-education.
Participants will learn through the concept of task analysis the specific ways in which TOTs impacts the oral motor and oral placement skills for breast, bottle, cup, straw, and solid feedings in addition to speech sound production. Videos and live practicums with attendee participation will provide therapeutic intervention tasks that participants can implement with their clients immediately. The importance of pre and post-surgical therapy will be discussed, and surgical techniques will be explored so that therapists maybe have a better understanding of the current research across disciplines on an international level.
Participants will be able to:
- List three forms of TOTs.
- Identify at least 3-5 functional impacts of TOTs on feeding skills.
- List at least 3 speech sounds that may be affected by TOTS.
- To list at least 2 professionals that should be consulted if TOTs is suspected after a functional assessment.
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® OPT resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
TalkTools®️ is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. Provider #: 4782. This self-study course qualifies for 12 self-study contact hours or 1.2 CEUs in the Category of Occupational Therapy Process. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA. Course Level: Intermediate.
This workshop will occur live virtually via Zoom. It is required to attend live to receive credit. Therefore, this offering will not be recorded.
*Practicum is included with your registration, but must be added to your cart if you wish to receive it, and will be shipped to the address provided at checkout.
- FOR U.S. ORDERS: Shipping rates are included. Registrations must be placed by May 01, 2022. After this date, we can not guarantee practicum will be shipped and arrive before the course date.
- FOR INTERNATIONAL ORDERS: Shipping rates are not included and we can not guarantee practicum will be shipped and arrive before the course date. Food items will not be included as these items may not clear customs. (Refer to the practicum photo)
- Registration Only Includes: 1.2 CEUs (ASHA/AOTA approved), practicum, digital workbook & certificate of completion.
- Registration + Textbook Includes: 25% off Functional Assessment and Remediation of TOTs (book shipped with practicum)