VIRTUAL WORKSHOP | Functional Remediation of Tethered Oral Tissues (TOTs) [ZOOM][May 14 2022]00021-WSP
*ADD THE PRACTICUM TO YOUR CART (For each participant) (Free shipping for US addresses only)
Date: Saturday May 14, 2022
Location: ZOOM (9:00AM - 04:00PM Eastern US Time)
Presenter: Robyn Merkel-Walsh, MA, CCC-SLP, COM®️
Tethered Oral Tissues (TOTs) is the restriction of the frena or frenulum, which are small folds of tissue that connect bone to tissue and support or limit movement. While not a new condition, the term TOTs was coined by Kimberly Benkert, RDH and later by Dr.Kevin Boyd in 2014 to describe restriction of the frenula in the tongue (ankyloglossia),lip (lip-tie) or buccal frena. There are many “hot topics” about treating TOTs ranging from the need for surgery to whether or not pre- and post-op care is necessary. Lori and Robyn have done extensive literature review on TOTs and have collected several years’ worth of clinical data in preparation of this course to explore these controversies and focus on an evidence-based approach to treatment. This course provides participants with a “task analysis” of TOTs interventions, based on Robyn and Lori’s theoretical foundation that the oral sensory-motor system cannot be separated, and therefore when TOTs is diagnosed the impact on movement impedes the way the person processes sensory information for feeding and speech. Any movement in the body can be broken down into smaller motor units, and Robyn and Lori have created a series of neuromuscular re-education techniques ranging from passive to active to work with patients across the life span with a range of cognitive skills. This class will walk through interventions for both pre-feeding and feeding for: breast, bottle, cup, spoon, solid and straw feeding(s) in addition to the oral placements required for speech clarity. Pre and post- operative considerations as well as surgical procedures will be discussed. Neuromuscular re-education of the cheeks, lips and tongue will be presented and numerous demonstrations, practicums and video slides will teach participants to execute a functional remediation program. Exercises may be executed in the school, hospital or clinic-based settings based on the impact on education or activities of daily living. Finally, Robyn and Lori have added a new section on toddlers and strategies for success with this challenging population.
- Participants will be able to list at least 2 surgical techniques for TOTs.
- Participants will be able to identify at least 2 goals of a pre-op TOTs plan of care.
- Participants will be able to execute at least 3 neuromuscular education activities
for pre and post op TOTs (1 buccal, 1 labial, 1 lingual).
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® OPT resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
TalkTools®️ is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. Provider #: 4782. This self-study course qualifies for 12 self-study contact hours or 1.2 CEUs in the Category of Occupational Therapy Process. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA. Course Level: Intermediate.
This workshop will occur live virtually via Zoom. It is required to attend live to receive credit. Therefore, this offering will not be recorded.
*Practicum is included with your registration, but must be added to your cart if you wish to receive it, and will be shipped to the address provided at checkout.
- FOR U.S. ORDERS: Shipping rates are included. Registrations must be placed by May 01, 2022. After this date we can not guarantee practicum will be shipped and arrive before the course date.
- FOR INTERNATIONAL ORDERS: Shipping rates are not included and we can not guarantee practicum will be shipped and arrive before the course date. Food items will not be included as these items may not clear customs. (Refer to the practicum photo)
- Registration Only Includes: 1.2 CEUs (ASHA/AOTA approved), practicum, digital workbook & certificate of completion.
- Registration + Textbook Includes: 25% off Functional Assessment and Remediation of TOTs (book shipped with practicum)