VIRTUAL WORKSHOP | MYOTools 101: The Foundations of Orofacial Myology [ZOOM] [September 17, 2022] [9:00AM - 4:30PM Eastern US/UTC-4]00026-WSP
*ADD THE PRACTICUM TO YOUR CART (For each participant) (Free shipping for US addresses only)
Date: Saturday, September 17, 2022
(9:00AM - 4:30PM Eastern US/UTC-4)
Presenter: Robyn Merkel-Walsh, MA, CCC-SLP, COM®️
Historically myofunctional therapy was seemingly a mysterious technique that only a few progressive professionals were proficient in. In fact, it was often questioned as an evidence-based practice and those practicing were few and far between. TalkTools® Instructor Robyn Merkel-Walsh was one of those innovative professionals who was teaching the main concepts of orofacial myofunctional disorders, and the perspective on using this approach to treating speech sound disorders in children since 1998. Over the past 26 + years, Robyn has merged her expertise in oral sensory-motor, feeding, and oral placement therapies with orofacial myology to create this MYOTools course in n effort enhance the clinical outcomes of many new patients beyond her own.
MYOTools will help clinicians who are new to orofacial myology explore an opportunity to look at their caseloads with a new lens. It will open the door to understanding the nexus of form and function and why this interaction is the foundation for improved airway health, sleep, oral resting posture, feeding, and speech. With the MYOscreener and MYOstructure tools for assessment, the prevention and identification of orofacial myofunctional disorders will be addressed. The importance of interdisciplinary practice and a referral base for the MYOteam will be encouraged. Then with MYOTools for intervention, course attendees will be able to embark in their journey in orofacial myology. Course attendees can complete this course and decide to have the MYOTools they need to make proper referrals or be ready to move on to more advanced training if so desired.
- Participants will be able to describe 3 structural anomalies associated with orofacial myofunctional disorders.
- Participants will be able to list 3 functional symptoms of an orofacial myofunctional disorder.
- Participants will be able to list two ways in which a restricted airway can interfere with the orofacial complex.
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® OPT resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
This workshop will occur live virtually via Zoom. It is required to attend live to receive credit. Therefore, this offering will not be recorded.
*Practicum is included with your registration, but must be added to your cart if you wish to receive it, and will be shipped to the address provided at checkout.
- FOR U.S. ORDERS: Shipping rates are included. Registrations must be placed by September 5, 2022. After this date we can not guarantee practicum will be shipped and arrive before the course date.
- FOR INTERNATIONAL ORDERS: Shipping rates are not included and we can not guarantee practicum will be shipped and arrive before the course date. Food items will not be included as these items may not clear customs. (Refer to the practicum photo above)
- Registration Only Includes: 0.65 CEUs (ASHA/AOTA approved), practicum, digital workbook & certificate of completion.