VIRTUAL WORKSHOP| The Functional *ASSESSMENT* of TOTs (Tethered Oral Tissues) [ZOOM][February 4, 2022]00006-WSP
*ADD THE PRACTICUM TO YOUR CART (For each participant) (Free shipping for US addresses only)
Date: February 4, 2022
Location: ZOOM(09:00AM-04:00PM EASTERN TIME)
Presenter: Robyn Merkel-Walsh MA, CCC-SLP, COM®️
Tethered Oral Tissues (TOTs) is the restriction of the frena or frenulum, which are small
folds of tissue that connect bone to tissue and support or limit movement. While not a new condition, the term TOTs was coined by Kimberly Benkert, RDH and later by Dr.
Kevin Boyd in 2014 to describe restriction of the frenula in the tongue (ankyloglossia),
lip (lip-tie) or buccal frena. While there are respected assessment protocols that look at the structure of the tissues, there is yet to be a detailed functional assessment that
looks at the impact of TOTs on oral motor, feeding and speech skills. Lori and Robyn
have done extensive literature review on TOTs and have collected several years’ worth
of clinical data in preparation of this course.
This course provides participants with a “Task Analysis” of a TOTs assessment. Robyn
and Lori have created case history forms for infants, children and adults that will reveal pertinent developmental and medical histories that look for red flags of both structural and functional TOTs issues. Then they will walk you through craniofacial /structural assessment of TOTs including what tools and cues will help assess structure. For the second part of the course, participants will be taught the functional markers of TOTs, with: breast, bottle, cup, and spoon, solid and straw feeding (s). Oral placements required for speech clarity will also be covered on how to assess errors that are typically associated with TOTs. Finally ethics, scope of practice and creating a “TOTs Team” will be explored.
- Participants will be able to list at least 2 assessment protocols for TOTs.
- Participants will be able to identify at least 3 ways in which TOTs can impact
feeding and /or speech.
- Participants will be able to describe at least 3 techniques to assess structural
and/or functional implications of TOTs.
Instruction Level: Intermediate. The learning outcomes and objectives are relevant for inter-professional practice and education (IEP) programs; and can be applied across the client's lifespan in a variety of settings (schools, private practice, clinics/hospitals)
Target Audience: SLPs, OTs, IBCLC, dentists, surgeons, ENTs and RDHs.
While TalkTools welcomes all to attend and learn the course content, it is the responsibility of the professional to determine if applying the techniques fits within the scope of their practice.
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® OPT resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
This program is approved by IAOM for 0.6 CEUs.
TalkTools®️ is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. Provider #: 4782. This self-study course qualifies for 6 self-study contact hours or 0.6 CEUs in the Category of Occupational Therapy Process. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA. Course Level: Intermediate.
This workshop will occur live virtually via Zoom. It is required to attend live to receive credit. Therefore, this offering will not be recorded.
*Practicum is included with your registration, but must be added to your cart if you wish to receive it, and will be shipped to the address provided at checkout.
- FOR U.S. ORDERS: Shipping rates are included. Registrations must be placed by January 20, 2022. After this date we can not guarantee practicum will be shipped and arrive before the course date.
- FOR INTERNATIONAL ORDERS: Shipping rates are not included and we can not guarantee practicum will be shipped and arrive before the course date. Food items will not be included as these items may not clear customs. (Refer to the practicum photo above).
- Registration Only Includes: 0.6 ASHA/AOTA approved CEUs, course supplies, and certificate of completion.
- Registration + Textbook Includes: 25% off TOTs Book (book shipped with practicum)