WEBINAR | Choosing Words Wisely [LIVE] [August 13, 2019]90335
Date: August 13, 2019
Location: Webinar (09:00AM-11:00AM EST)
Presenter: Robyn Merkel Walsh, MA, CCC-SLP, COM®️
SLPs often need to create word lists for their clients/students. Commercial products often do not consider “competing sounds”, for example, alveolars that are interjected into bilabial card sets such as “bus” and “caterpillar”. With expertise in orofacial myofunctional, muscle based and motor speech disorders, Robyn will explore various articulation products and why they work for specific populations. Concepts just as jaw grading, structural challenges and coarticulation will be discussed as driving factors for choosing the best words to facilitate progress.
- Participants will be able to list at least three articulation materials that consider muscle and/or motor function.
- Participants will be able to explain why jaw grading is an important factor in articulation therapy.
- Participants will be able to list at least two reasons why word drills may be too challenging for a client/student.
This program is offered for 0.2 ASHA CEUs (Introductory Level; Professional Area)(see TalkTools ASHA CEU Policy and Process for more information)
Schedule (09:00AM - 11:00AM Eastern)
- 09:00AM 09:10AM Welcome
- 09:10AM 09:30AM Structural, myofunctional, muscle based and motor execution disorders, why articulation therapy cannot be one size fits all.
- 09:30AM 10:00AM Task analysis of speech sounds to help select the appropriate word lists.
- 10:00AM 10:10AM BREAK
- 10:10AM 10:50AM Current articulation tools and how to choose wisely
- 10:50AM 11:00AM Wrap-up/Q&A