WEBINAR | Structure, Function and Restricted Diets…can they be related? [March 25, 2020][RECORDING]90369
Date: March 25, 2020
Location: Webinar (01:00PM-03:00PM EST)
Presenter: Renee Roy Hill, MS, CCC-SLP, COM®️
Often feeding courses focus on one aspect of feeding: early feeding, oral motor-based feeding problems or picky and/or behavioral feeding. This course will dive into several aspects of feeding and how each area may impact the other. As children get older, food limitations often become more apparent, especially when a child is having difficulty moving from “easy” or “processed foods” to typical table foods. Taking a look at multiple aspects of feeding can give the therapist a better picture of these food limitations. This webinar will take a look at the evaluation process for feeding, making specific recommendations in each category to fully assess the child’s feeding problem. Discussions on who else might need to join the feeding team and when will also be discussed. Therapeutic approaches will also be covered with several different thoughts on methodology will be covered for children who have limited diets due to these issues. Remember, it may not be just picky eating!!
- Participants will be able to assess structural issues that may impact feeding.
- Participants will be able to look at the functional aspects of chewing, spoon feeding, cup drinking, and straw drinking, and identify deficits that may impact food choices.
- Participants will be able to evaluate food preferences from a sensory, behavioral, and motor perspective.
- Participants will be able to develop an initial plan to address all feeding concerns.
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® OPT resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
This program is offered for 0.2 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate Level; Professional Area)(see TalkTools ASHA CEU Policy and Process for more information)
Schedule (1:00PM - 3:00PM Eastern)
- 10 minutes Overview of feeding deficits
- 25 minutes Review structural issues that may impact feeding
- 30 minutes Review functional issues that may impact feeding
- 15 minutes Review analysis of food preferences
- 30 minutes Discuss development of a feeding plan
- 10 minutes Q&A