Systematic Approach to Teaching Speech to Non-Vocal Individuals with Autism3741-NS
This program is offered for 1.2 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate Level; Professional Area).
• 1.2 AOTA CEUs • 12 Instructional Hours (see TalkTools ASHA CEU Policy and Process for more information)
This course is a comprehensive program that combines principles of Applied Behavior Analysis with Oral Placement Therapy. For Behavior Analysts, the course demonstrates the importance of using specific techniques within hierarchies to develop the oral placement skills for speech and feeding. For Speech and Language Pathologists and Occupational Therapists, this course demonstrates techniques developed within the Applied Behavior Analysis field to maximize learning for functional speech using reinforcement based procedures. The course guides all participants through a complete program beginning with developing cooperation and ending with functional vocabulary.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe how the science of Applied Behavior Analysis in conjunction with oral placement and tactile therapies can be used to teach non-verbal or non-imitative clients with autism to speak.
- Identify the prerequisite skills necessary to teach vocal speech and apply 3-4 techniques in the applied behavior analysis research that have been used to develop vocalizations.
- Describe the sequential steps of developing functional communication beginning with motivation, reinforcement, motor imitation and specific shaping strategies that can be used to maximize learning of functional speech.
- Explain how many non-verbal clients with autism have underlying oral motor and motor planning deficits that should be addressed.
- Apply specific task analyzed techniques to assist the therapist in applying TalkTools hierarchies to individuals with autism.
- Identify the connection between oral placement skills and the motor aspects of speech
- Apply specific sequential techniques to transition oral placement skills to functional speech for those clients not responding to traditional verbal modeling and shaping techniques.
- Online ONLY for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE (downloadable workbook, forms and charts)
- Online + SUPPLIES for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE, plus the following supplies
- 2 latex-free gloves, 1 (set) bite blocks, 1 nose clip, 1 tongue depressor
- Suggested food supplies (not included): soft gum (BubbleYum), gummy bears, spit cup
- Online + SUPPLIES + DVD for 1 learner - ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE plus supplies listed above and 1 course DVD
- Group Rate for 5 learners
- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE for 5 learners
- 5 sets of SUPPLIES listed above
- 1 course DVD