A Sensory Motor Approach to Apraxia of Speech3663-NS
This program is offered for 0.6 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate Level; Professional Area).
• 0.6 AOTA CEUs • 6 Instructional Hours
This presentation focuses on treatment of clients diagnosed with apraxia of speech and related motor speech disorders. Many of these clients do not respond to the traditional auditory and visually-based motor speech techniques. Often because other co-existing issues are not addressed including oral sensory deficits, feeding deficits, and oral placement deficits, making differential diagnosis an important assessment component.
This course demonstrates how activities which utilize a tactile approach (OPT), in conjunction with auditory and visually-based apraxia therapy techniques, can improve speech clarity in clients diagnosed with apraxia of speech.
Additionally; childhood apraxia of speech is defined (along with other motor impairments), treatment goals including a muscle-based approach, sensory, OPT, and feeding are discussed, and strategies for implementing a multi-modality motor speech program are provided.
- Discuss goals related to treatment of apraxia of speech.
- Define childhood apraxia of speech along with subsequent motor speech impairments that may also be present.
- Understand when a muscle-based approach is appropriate in a treatment plan.
- Study sensory, feeding and motor issues as related to children with a diagnosis of apraxia of speech and other motor speech disorders.
- Teach how oral placement activities through structured repetition improve muscle skill and teach muscle memory.
- Understand how using a multi-sensory tactile approach is used with clients to transition from OPT to facilitate speech production.
- Provide strategies for planning and implementing a multi-modality motor speech program.
The "Apraxia" course is an interactive, hands-on workshop. When taking this course as a self-study it is encouraged that you follow along with all of the activities.
Renee Roy Hill, MS, CCC-SLP bio
- Online ONLY for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE (downloadable workbook, forms and charts)
- Online + SUPPLIES for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE plus the following supplies: 2 latex-free gloves, 1 Bubble Tube, 1 Bubble Straw, 1 Toothette, 1 tongue depressor
- Complete Apraxia Kit ($52 value)
- Online + SUPPLIES + DVD for 1 learner - ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE plus supplies and 1 course DVD
- Group Rate (5 learners)
- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE for 5 learners
- 5 sets of SUPPLIES
- 5 textbooks
- 1 course DVD
For Live Courses Visit our Event Calendar