A Sensory Motor Approach to Apraxia of Speech3663-NS
This presentation focuses on treatment of clients diagnosed with apraxia of speech and related motor speech disorders. Many of these clients do not respond to the traditional auditory and visually-based motor speech techniques. Often because other co-existing issues are not addressed including oral sensory deficits, feeding deficits, and oral placement deficits, making differential diagnosis an important assessment component.
This course demonstrates how activities which utilize a tactile approach (OPT), in conjunction with auditory and visually-based apraxia therapy techniques, can improve speech clarity in clients diagnosed with apraxia of speech.
Additionally; childhood apraxia of speech is defined (along with other motor impairments), treatment goals including a muscle-based approach, sensory, OPT, and feeding are discussed, and strategies for implementing a multi-modality motor speech program are provided.
- Discuss goals related to treatment of apraxia of speech.
- Define childhood apraxia of speech along with subsequent motor speech impairments that may also be present.
- Understand when a muscle-based approach is appropriate in a treatment plan.
- Study sensory, feeding and motor issues as related to children with a diagnosis of apraxia of speech and other motor speech disorders.
- Teach how oral placement activities through structured repetition improve muscle skill and teach muscle memory.
- Understand how using a multi-sensory tactile approach is used with clients to transition from OPT to facilitate speech production.
- Provide strategies for planning and implementing a multi-modality motor speech program.
The "Apraxia" course is an interactive, hands-on workshop. When taking this course as a self-study it is encouraged that you follow along with all of the activities.
Renee Roy Hill, MS, CCC-SLP bio
This program is offered for 0.6 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate Level; Professional Area) • 0.6 AOTA CEUs • 6 Instructional Hours
- Online ONLY for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE (downloadable workbook, forms and charts)
- Online + SUPPLIES for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE plus the following supplies:
- 2 latex-free gloves
- 1 Bubble Tube
- 1 Bubble Straw
- 1 Toothette
- 1 tongue depressor
- 1 Complete Apraxia Kit ($52 value)
- Online + SUPPLIES + DVD for 1 learner - ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE plus supplies and 1 course DVD
- Group Rate (5 learners)
- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE for 5 learners
- 5 sets of SUPPLIES
- 5 textbooks
- 1 course DVD