TalkTools Instructor, Monica Purdy, will be presenting strategies for implementing a chewing plan for clients who have not mastered this skill, looking at what happens during both a typical chewing event and a disordered one
Participants will learn how to conduct a differential diagnosis to determine if sensory issues and/or motor deficits are impacting mastication. Techniques to facilitate transitioning to solids, as well as strategies to go from a vertical chew to a rotary chew will be discussed. Mastering Mastication Checklist for families will also be presented.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify typical chewing patterns vs. disordered chewing patterns
- Conduct a differential diagnosis to determine sensory and/or motor deficits affecting mastication
- Apply techniques to incorporate solid foods
- Apply 2 strategies to facilitate transition from vertical to rotary chew
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
TalkTools®️ is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. Provider #: 6930. This live, virtual course qualifies for 3 contact hours or 0.3 CEUs in the Category of Occupational Therapy Process. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA. Course Level: Introductory.
- Online ONLY for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE (downloadable handout, forms and charts)
- Group Rate for 5 learners
- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE for 5 learners
- 30 minutes Identifying chewing patterns
- 60 minutes Differential Diagnosis: What is Impacting Mastication?
- 30 minutes Transitioning to solids
- 30 minutes Transitioning from vertical to rotary chew
- 15 Minutes Mastering Mastication Checklist
- 15 minutes Wrap-up & FAQ