NEW COURSE - A Systematic Approach to Teaching Speech to Non-Vocal Individuals with Autism
This course is a comprehensive program that combines principles of Applied Behavior Analysis with Oral Placement Therapy. For Behavior Analysts, the course demonstrates the importance of using specific techniques within hierarchies to develop the oral placement skills for speech and feeding. For Speech and Language Pathologists and Occupational Therapists, this course demonstrates techniques developed within the Applied Behavior Analysis field to maximize learning for functional speech using reinforcement based procedures. The course guides all participants through a complete program beginning with developing cooperation and ending with functional vocabulary.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe how the science of Applied Behavior Analysis in conjunction with oral placement and tactile therapies can be used to teach non-verbal or non-imitative clients with autism to speak.
- Identify the prerequisite skills necessary to teach vocal speech and apply 3-4 techniques in the applied behavior analysis research that have been used to develop vocalizations.
- Describe the sequential steps of developing functional communication beginning with motivation, reinforcement, motor imitation and specific shaping strategies that can be used to maximize learning of functional speech.
- Explain how many non-verbal clients with autism have underlying oral motor and motor planning deficits that should be addressed.
- Apply specific task analyzed techniques to assist the therapist in applying TalkTools hierarchies to individuals with autism.
- Identify the connection between oral placement skills and the motor aspects of speech
- Apply specific sequential techniques to transition oral placement skills to functional speech for those clients not responding to traditional verbal modeling and shaping techniques.
2 - Latex-Free Gloves
1 (set) - Bite Blocks
1 - Nose Clip
1 - Bubble Tube
1 - (unflavored) Tongue Depressor
NOT included: soft gum (ex., BubbleYum), gummy bears, spit cup
Group Rate Includes
Online access, supplies, and CEUs for 5 learners, and 1 DVD
1.2 CEUs per participant
Instructional Hours = 12 hours