The Superpowers of the Sensory System3790-NS
LEVELS TRAINING PROGRAM: LEVEL 2 COURSE REQUIREMENT
Speaking and eating are two of the most complex things we do on a daily basis. And they both involve many of the same systems, including the sensory system. When the sensory system is disordered, the impacts of speech and feeding can be significant.
We know about the 5 senses -- hearing, seeing, tasting, smelling and touching. But we have 3 other senses that are incredibly important: proprioception, vestibular, and interoception.
This course will take provide a systematic approach to identifying typical vs. atypical sensory processing across all 8 senses, applying the latest sensory integration methods and child-friendly, goal-centered activities to achieve self-regulation. Participants will be able to develop a self-regulation plan that can applied to the client's daily routines, including speech, feeding, sleep, play, and general interactions with their environment.
Resources include sensory integration activity lists, assessment checklist, and self-regulation program template.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe the 8 senses
- Identify typical vs. atypical sensory processing
- Define sensory processing disorders
- Apply 5 activities to help clients with self-regulation
- Develop a sensory regulation plan.
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
TalkTools®️ is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Provider #: 5945. This self-study course is offered at 3 contact hours or 0.3 CEUs, introductory level, in the categories of OT Service Delivery and Foundational Knowledge. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
- 10 Minutes: Sensory Processing 101
- 20 Minutes: Three primary patterns of sensory processing disorders
- 15 Minutes: The 8 senses
- 15 Minutes: Regulation and Arousal
- 30 Minutes: Common difficulties with sensory systems
- 15 Minutes: Oral perspective
- 30 Minutes: Sensory activities for self-regulation
- 30 Minutes: Developing as sensory assessment plan and sensory activity plan
- 15 Minutes: Collaboration is key
- Online ONLY for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE (downloadable handout, forms and charts)
- Online + SUPPLIES for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE, plus the following supplies
- 1- Horn #1
- 1- Bubble tube
- 2- Toothettes
- 1- Finger cuff
- 1- Straw #4
- 2- Tongue depressors
- Group Rate for 5 learners
- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE for 5 learners
- 5 sets of SUPPLIES listed above
- jaw grading blocks
- jaw exerciser
- tongue tip lateralization
- straw kit
- horn kit
- bubble kit
- sensory bean bags