0.3 ASHA CEUs • 0.3 AOTA CEUs • 3 Instructional Hours
This program was created to provide step-by-step techniques to diagnose and treat jaw instability and weakness.
Clients who present with jaw weakness or instability secondary to diagnoses including Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, post-CVA, apraxia, dyspraxia, autism, Parkinson’s disease, PDD, inter-dental or lateral lisp, multiple articulation disorder or any of the numerous syndromes characterized by hypo-tonicity or muscle weakness can benefit from the exercises presented here.
This multi-sensory approach, used with traditional therapy, can bring greater results for clients with muscle-based feeding and/or speech clarity disorders. This is the crucial element of therapy that has been missing from our treatment of these clients. You’ll learn how to evaluate jaw stability and be given scenarios that require jaw exercise therapy.
- Explain the difference between normal and abnormal jaw movement.
- Assess jaw instability as related to speech clarity.
- Describe how to implement the feeding program and non-food jaw activities.
- Demonstrate how to transition the learned jaw movement into functional movement for speech production.
The "Jaw" course is an interactive, hands-on workshop. When taking this course as a self-study it is encouraged that you follow along with all of the activities.
TalkTools founder, Sara Rosenfeld-Johnson, MS, CCC-SLP bio
- Online ONLY for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE (downloadable workbook, forms and charts)
- Online + SUPPLIES for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE, plus the following supplies and textbook: Jaw Grading Bite Blocks ($30 value) and Textbook "Assessment & Treatment of the Jaw" ($40 value)
- Online + SUPPLIES + DVD for 1 learner - ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE plus supplies and textbook listed above and 1 course DVD
- Group Rate for 5 learners
- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE for 5 learners
- 5 sets of SUPPLIES
- 5 textbooks
- 1 course DVD