After many years of clinical research and development, Sara Rosenfeld-Johnson has created a program using tactile interventions to improve the oral preparatory phase feeding skills and speech clarity for teens, young adults and the geriatric population.
Participants will learn how to diagnose and treat muscle-based deficits for their clients with any of the following diagnoses: dysarthria, apraxia, post oral cancer surgery, voice disorders, post CVA, Parkinson’s disease as well as Down syndrome, TBI and Cerebral Palsy.
Innovative therapy tools can be used by therapists, patients or caregivers to improve feeding skill including chewing of firmer textures, bolus formation and bolus positioning for transport.
Muscle skills can improve at any age and this course will add both new and exciting activities to your therapy repertoire.
- Participant will be able to use non-food items to improve the sensory-motor skills needed to chew and swallow safely prior to introducing new food textures.
- Participants will be able to appropriately apply at least 5 new therapy techniques.
- Participants will be able to learn to use Oral Placement Therapy (OPT) techniques as a tactile cueing system in conjunction with traditional speech therapy to improve speech clarity.r
- Participants will be able to describe how therapeutic straw drinking can be used with and without liquids to improve feeding safety and speech clarity.
The "Adult" course is an interactive, hands-on workshop. When taking this course as a self-study it is encouraged that you follow along with all of the activities.
Sara Rosenfeld-Johnson, MS, CCC-SLP
- Online ONLY for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE (downloadable workbook, forms and charts)
- Online + SUPPLIES for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE, plus the following Textbook: "A Therapist's Guide to Rehabilitative Feeding & Speech Techniques"
- Group Rate for 5 learners
- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE for 5 learners
- 5 textbooks