This course was previously entitled, Developing Oral-Motor and Feeding Skills in the Down Syndrome Population. It has been updated.
This one day class focuses on the development of oral sensory motor skills to support safe, nutritive and socially acceptable feeding skills in people with a diagnosis of Down syndrome.
Factors which interfere with feeding, and strategies to mitigate those obstacles will be covered.
A theoretical foundation for assessment and treatment will be provided. Therapeutic techniques for pre-feeding, and therapeutic feeding will be shared through videos and demonstrations.
Participants will know how to:
- Analyze health issues which impact feeding and are noted more frequently in people with Down Syndrome
- Identify characteristics which impact feeding within the Down Syndrome population
- Describe a working knowledge of the theory behind a sensory motor approach to feeding
- Assess sensory motor issues which impact nutrition and oral-motor feeding skills
This course is an interactive, hands-on workshop. When taking this course as a self-study it is encouraged that you follow along with all of the activities.
The list of supplies indicates what is included and the recommended food items you will want to have on hand while watching and following along with the video course.
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
TalkTools®️ is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. Provider #: 6820. This virtual, self-study course qualifies for 6 contact hours or 0.6 CEUs in the Category of Occupational Therapy Process. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA. Course Level: Intermediate.
- 20 minutes- Introduction and Course Overview
- 10 minutes- Overview of Assessment
- 65 minutes- Assessing Factors which Influence Feeding
- -Medical Issues: Posture and Alignment | Sensory Processing | Structural Issues |
- Functional Issues
- 30 minutes- Task Analysis of Oral Sensory Motor Skills
- 30 minutes- Examples of Pre-feeding Exercises
- 15 minutes- Self Directed Feeding-A Sensory Motor Approach to Modified BLW
- 15 minutes- Managing Sensory Diet Exploration
- 160 minutes- Therapeutic Feeding Techniques
- 15 minutes- Wrap up and Questions
- Online ONLY for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE (downloadable handout, forms and charts)
- Online + SUPPLIES for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE, plus the following supplies: 2 latex-free gloves, 1 Straw C, 1 plastic spoon, 1 Toothette, 1 set of Red Bite Blocks
- Suggested food supplies (not included): 20 Cheerios, 20 pretzel sticks, 20 Veggie Stix and applesauce
- Group Rate for 5 learners
- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE for 5 learners
- 5 sets of SUPPLIES listed above
Lori Overland, MS, CCC-SLP bio