Speaker: Dr. Dan Hanson, BDS, MBIBH
Course DescriptionThankfully, many health professionals as well as lay people now understand that mouth breathing is a major health issue and can be an etiological factor in asthma, allergy, sleep disorders and craniofacial dysmorphias. However, modern preventive airway health care does not stop at cessation of mouth breathing. Breathing dysfunction can still be present even with complete lip competency and exclusive nasal breathing. This course will outline what functional breathing is and will provide insights into how it can be addressed using respiratory neuroplasticity and breathing training.
The participant will be able to:
- Identify functional Vs dysfunctional breathing
- Understand some of the signs and symptoms caused by dysfunctional breathing
- Gain insight into how functional breathing can be encouraged in our communities
- 20 min -- Normal vs dysfunctional breathing
- 30 min -- Signs and symptoms of dysfunctional breathing
- 30 min -- Causes of dysfunctional breathing
- 10 min -- Insights into breathing training using the Buteyko Method
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
(pending AOTA approval)
(see TalkTools ASHA CEU Policy and Process for more information)