Pre-Feeding Exercises: A Sensory Motor Approach3794-NS
The goal of a pre-feeding program is to develop the underlying motor skills to support safe, nutritive eating. Pre-feeding programs often do not target specific motor skills because assessment has not included a task analysis of the clients oral sensory motor skill development.
This course provides a theoretical foundation for developing a pre-feeding program based upon a task analysis of the motor skills for spoon feeding, solids, cup drinking and straw drinking. Functional goal-based exercises, applicable to a wide variety of populations, are also demonstrated.
Although there is no prerequisite for taking this course, it was designed in response to requests for a review of the exercises demonstrated in the two day class, Feeding Therapy: A Sensory Motor Approach.
- Participants will be able to identify 4 pre-feeding considerations when planning a program.
- Participants will be able to demonstrate 3 functional exercises to support the following: spoon feeding, cup drinking, straw drinking, and eating solids.
- 30 minutes Planning a Sensory-Based program
- 20 minutes Assessment & Treatment Model
- 55 minutes Goal-Based Pre-Feeding Exercises
- 15 minutes Wrap-up/Q&A
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
TalkTools®️ is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. Provider #: 5581. This virtual, self-study course qualifies for 2 contact hours or 0.2 CEUs in the Category of Occupational Therapy Process. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA. Course Level: Introductory.
InstructorsLori L. Overland MS CCC-SLP, C/NDT, CLC, FOM Bio and Financial Disclosure
- Online ONLY for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE (downloadable handout)
- Online + SUPPLIES for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE, plus the following supplies
- 2- Yellow Chewy Tubes
- 2- Red Chewy Tubes
- 1- Red Bite Block Set
- Recommended Supplies (Not Included):
- Sensi Pre-Feeding Kit
- Veggie Stix or Pretzel Sticks
- Group Rate for 5 learners
- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE for 5 learners
- 5 sets of SUPPLIES listed above