Pre-Feeding Exercises: A Sensory Motor Approach3794-NS
The goal of a pre-feeding program is to develop the underlying motor skills to support safe, nutritive eating. Pre-feeding programs often do not target specific motor skills because assessment has not included a task analysis of the clients oral sensory motor skill development.
This course provides a theoretical foundation for developing a pre-feeding program based upon a task analysis of the motor skills for spoon feeding, solids, cup drinking and straw drinking. Functional goal-based exercises, applicable to a wide variety of populations, are also demonstrated.
Although there is no prerequisite for taking this course, it was designed in response to requests for a review of the exercises demonstrated in the two day class, Feeding Therapy: A Sensory Motor Approach.
- Participants will be able to identify 4 pre-feeding considerations when planning a program.
- Participants will be able to demonstrate 3 functional exercises to support the following: spoon feeding, cup drinking, straw drinking, and eating solids.
- 30 minutes Planning a Sensory-Based program
- 20 minutes Assessment & Treatment Model
- 55 minutes Goal-Based Pre-Feeding Exercises
- 15 minutes Wrap-up/Q&A
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® OPT resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
InstructorsLori L. Overland MS CCC-SLP, C/NDT, CLC, FOM Bio and Financial Disclosure
- Online ONLY for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE (downloadable handout)
- Online + SUPPLIES for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE, plus the following supplies
- 2- Yellow Chewy Tubes
- 2- Red Chewy Tubes
- 1- Red Bite Block Set
- Recommended Supplies (Not Included):
- Sensi Pre-Feeding Kit
- Veggie Stix or Pretzel Sticks
- Group Rate for 5 learners
- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE for 5 learners
- 5 sets of SUPPLIES listed above