Oral Placement Therapy: Clinical Implications for Tongue Thrust and Lisps
Our SMILE Program (SysteMatic Intervention for Lingual Elevation) is an effective way to help children remediate articulation errors including persistent lisps, interdentalized productions of t-d-l-n, and distortions of sh-ch-r.
The program targets the root of the speech problem which is often a tongue thrust disorder.
Robyn discovered in a school-based setting that by combining oral placement, swallowing and articulation therapies, progress rates improved.
This course addresses children ages 3 and up, who present with persistent articulation errors secondary to a Tongue Thrust Disorder.
- Diagnose myofunctional disorders based on oral placement skills/swallowing skills/articulation skills
- List defining characteristics of a myofunctional disorder
- Determine if oral-motor prerequisite skills are intact in order to initiate myofunctional therapy techniques (Jaw-structure-tone)
- Measure treatment outcomes throughout the therapeutic process
- Combine oral placement, swallowing and articulation therapy techniques for those children who present myofunctional disorders
- Implement at least ten exercises for a tongue thrust program
The "Tongue Thrust" course is an interactive, hands-on workshop. When taking this course as a self-study it is encouraged that you follow along with all of the activities.
The list of supplies indicates what is included and the recommended items you will want to have on hand while watching and following along with the video course.
Robyn Merkel-Walsh, MA, CCC-SLP bio
SMILE Program ($92 value):
1 - Manual
1 - Red Chewy Tube
1 - Jaw Grading Bite Blocks (set of 2)
1 - Nose Flute (3 pk)
1 - Vibrator & Toothettes
1 - Bubble Tube with Refill
1 ea. - Horns # 2,7,8,9,10,12
1 ea. - Straws # 4,5,6,7
1 ea. - Straws AB, C, D
3 - Sterile Tongue Depressors
Group Rate Includes
Online access, supplies (SMILE kits), and CEUs for 5 users, and 1 DVD.
0.6 CEUs per participant
Run time is 6 hours.