OPT: Clinical Implications for Tongue Thrust and Lisps3744-NS
0.6 ASHA CEUs • 0.6 AOTA CEUs • 6 Instructional Hours
Our SMILE Program (SysteMatic Intervention for Lingual Elevation) is an effective way to help children remediate articulation errors including persistent lisps, interdentalized productions of t-d-l-n, and distortions of sh-ch-r.
The program targets the root of the speech problem which is often a tongue thrust disorder.
Robyn discovered in a school-based setting that by combining oral placement, swallowing and articulation therapies, progress rates improved.
This course addresses children ages 3 and up, who present with persistent articulation errors secondary to a Tongue Thrust Disorder.
- Diagnose myofunctional disorders based on oral placement skills/swallowing skills/articulation skills
- List defining characteristics of a myofunctional disorder
- Determine if oral-motor prerequisite skills are intact in order to initiate myofunctional therapy techniques (Jaw-structure-tone)
- Measure treatment outcomes throughout the therapeutic process
- Combine oral placement, swallowing and articulation therapy techniques for those children who present myofunctional disorders
- Implement at least ten exercises for a tongue thrust program
The "Tongue Thrust" course is an interactive, hands-on workshop. When taking this course as a self-study it is encouraged that you follow along with all of the activities.
Robyn Merkel-Walsh, MA, CCC-SLP bio
- Online ONLY for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE (downloadable workbook, forms and charts)
- Online + SUPPLIES for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE, plus the following supplies: SMILE Program ($92 value): SMILE Manual, Red Chewy Tube, Jaw Grading Bite Blocks, Nose Flute, Vibrator/Toothettes, 1 Bubble Tube with Refill, 1 ea. Horns # 2,7,8,9,10,12, Straws # 4,5,6,7, Straws AB, C, D, 3 Sterile Tongue Depressors
- Online + SUPPLIES + DVD for 1 learner - ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE plus supplies listed above and 1 course DVD
- Group Rate for 5 learners
- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE for 5 learners
- 5 sets of SUPPLIES (listed above)
- 1 course DVD