OPT: Clinical Implications for Tongue Thrust and Lisps3744-NS
This program is offered for 0.6 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate Level; Professional Area).
• 0.6 AOTA CEUs • 6 Instructional Hours (see TalkTools ASHA CEU Policy and Process for more information)
Our SMILE Program (SysteMatic Intervention for Lingual Elevation) is an effective way to help children remediate articulation errors including persistent lisps, interdentalized productions of t-d-l-n, and distortions of sh-ch-r.
The program targets the root of the speech problem which is often a tongue thrust disorder.
Robyn discovered in a school-based setting that by combining oral placement, swallowing and articulation therapies, progress rates improved.
This course addresses children ages 3 and up, who present with persistent articulation errors secondary to a Tongue Thrust Disorder.
- Participants will be able to diagnose myofunctional disorders based on oral placement skills/swallowing skills/articulation skills.
- Participants will be able to list defining characteristics of a myofunctional disorder.
- Participants will be able to determine if oral-motor prerequisite skills are intact in order to initiate myofunctional therapy techniques (Jaw-structure-tone).
- Participants will be able to measure treatment outcomes throughout the therapeutic process.
- Participants will be able to combine oral placement, swallowing and articulation therapy techniques for those children who present myofunctional disorders.
- Participants will be able to implement at least ten exercises for a tongue thrust program.
The "Tongue Thrust" course is an interactive, hands-on workshop. When taking this course as a self-study it is encouraged that you follow along with all of the activities.
Robyn Merkel-Walsh, MA, CCC-SLP bio
- Online ONLY for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE (downloadable workbook, forms and charts)
- Online + SUPPLIES for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE, plus the following supplies: SMILE Program ($92 value): SMILE Manual, Red Chewy Tube, Jaw Grading Bite Blocks, Nose Flute, Vibrator/Toothettes, 1 Bubble Tube with Refill, 1 ea. Horns # 2,7,8,9,10,12, Straws # 4,5,6,7, Straws AB, C, D, 3 Sterile Tongue Depressors
- Online + SUPPLIES + DVD for 1 learner - ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE plus supplies listed above and 1 course DVD
- Group Rate for 5 learners
- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE for 5 learners
- 5 sets of SUPPLIES (listed above)
- 1 course DVD