Oral Placement Therapy: Clinical Implications for Tongue Thrust and Lisps3744-NS
Robyn’s SMILE Program (SysteMatic Intervention for Lingual Elevation) is an effective way to help children remediate articulation errors including persistent lisps, interdentalized productions of t-d-l-n-s-z, and distortions of s-z-∫-t∫-dʒ-ʒ. The program targets the root of the speech problem which is often an orofacial myofunctional disorder (OMD). Robyn discovered in a school-based setting that by combining oral placement, swallowing and articulation therapies progress rates improved. Participants learn how to perform a thorough structural assessment and determine if an OMD is present. This one-day seminar differentiates therapeutic strategies for <4 and >4 populations for the best prognosis. SMILE manual is included with the course.
- Participants will be able to diagnose myofunctional disorders based on oral placement skills/swallowing skills/articulation skills.
- Participants will be able to list defining characteristics of a myofunctional disorder.
- Participants will be able to determine if oral-motor prerequisite skills are intact in order to initiate myofunctional therapy techniques (Jaw-structure-tone).
- Participants will be able to measure treatment outcomes throughout the therapeutic process.
- Participants will be able to combine oral placement, swallowing and articulation therapy techniques for those children who present myofunctional disorders.
- Participants will be able to implement at least ten exercises for a tongue thrust program.
The "Tongue Thrust" course is an interactive, hands-on workshop. When taking this course as a self-study it is encouraged that you follow along with all of the activities.
Content Disclosure: This presentation will focus on treatment methods related to the use of TalkTools® OPT resources. Other similar treatment approaches will receive limited or no coverage during this lecture.
- Online ONLY for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE (downloadable workbook, forms and charts)
- Online + SUPPLIES for 1 learner -- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE, plus the following supplies: SMILE Program
- Group Rate for 5 learners
- ACCESS TO ONLINE COURSE for 5 learners
- 5 sets of SUPPLIES (listed above)
Robyn Merkel-Walsh, MA, CCC-SLP bio